So here’s where I’m at with my cancer-fighting journey so far:
- I have made a list of national cancer and/or thyroid associations, national cancer research institutes, and holistic health practitioners to talk with and get opinions on my various options.
- I am hell-bent on finding some lab that can definitively diagnose the hurthle cells from my biopsy. Fortunately the cells are on file (how do they do that?) at my endo’s office, and she (being awesome) is happy to send the info on if I find a place that can diagnose them.
- Meanwhile I’m moving ahead as if I’m getting surgery. Leads to all kinds of stuff I need to figure out. Your personal knowledge/experience/insight is welcome.
- What are the drugs that they give before and after surgeries? What are some possible side effects? What are some alternative medicine options?
- Can I get a patient advocate to watch over me like a hawk and micromanage all my care? Are there professional patient advocates? I’m joining a cancer support group to see if I can befriend a smarty-pants cancer survivor who can come and be my 800 pound gorilla keeping me safe.
- What else do I need to prepare for surgery? Someone advised me to let my doctor know the different foods/herbal supplements I’m eating/taking, to ensure there is no conflict with the meds I’ll be on. I know I’ll need comforters instead of flimsy hospital blankets, because I get hecka cold.